06 April 2005

Chocolate shortbread

Chocolate shortbread, unbaked

Craved some biscuits to go with our after-dinner tea, and decided to try out a Green and Black's inspired shortbread recipe. I used my now favourite shortbread proportions (6-4-2), and made two lots: one regular plus a dash of ground cinnamon and quick grate of nutmeg, and the other with 4 1/2 oz flour plus 1 1/2 oz cocoa powder. To get the marbled effect, you can either:

  • wrap one dough in the other, and lightly knead before rolling out; or
  • roll both out into rectangles that are roughly the same size, lay the regular dough on a sheet of baking parchment, and place the cocoa dough on top.

I used the latter method, sprinkled with ~60g of roughly chopped dark chocolate. Rolled it up like a swiss roll, sliced into 1cm pieces, and baked at 150degC for ~20 min (used a fan oven; for conventional ovens, add 5 min).

The biscuits don't look pretty, but they sure taste good. Especially straight out of the oven... If I go to the effort of trying this again, I think I'll use a bit more butter, as the shortbread came out a bit too floury and the two doughs didn't stick to each other as well as I'd have liked.

Chocolate shortbread ingredients Mystery shot Brown/Spiced doughs Chocolate shortbread
Ingredients Mystery shot Cocoa and regular dough The end result

Technorati tags: , , .

No comments: